Thursday, January 12, 2006

Learning by example

Sure, we all know that children learn by example. But it's only when you actually see to what extent this happens, that you understand how all encompassing this is. In the mornings, when I put on my contacts, Nalini stands by my side, pretending that she's putting on contact lenses herself. At night, before she goes to bed, she brushes her teeth happily and on her own initiative, not because I tell her that it is good to do so, but because I do it too. She'll have good manners if I have them, she'll treat people respectfully if I show them respect on a daily basis. She'll take pride on the things she does if she notices that I am proud of what I do and of who I am, and she'll learn to take care of herself only if I do the same.

It is a tremendous responsibility. It makes me strive to become a better person.

1 comment:

Anna said...

This is a great post because it is true -- and I appreciate hearing it. It's a great reminder of what it means to be a parent.