Thursday, January 12, 2006

A crib lover!

Jamila and Ana have two babies, but don't own a crib. We always had our kids sleeping with us in our bed, until Nalini very recently graduated to her own bed. Taj was always a good sleeper, and would sleep for 6-8 hours straight at night - as long as he was snuggled up against someone in bed. Otherwise, he wouldn't spend five minutes in bed alone, not even for naps.

That's until he got to borrow Breno's crib in Salvador. He was sleeping for entire nights on his own in the crib, and 2-hour naps during the day! Later, he got to borrow Björn's crib in Itanhaem, and we saw the same phenomenon happen - hours and hours of rest, just by himself in the crib. After we returned to São Paulo, we got Taj his own crib at his grandparents', and guess what - he spends most of the night in it, and also takes extensive naps during the day. Maybe he just wanted his own bed. I should have known that he would embrace anything that was meant to help him sleep better... :)

As a result, I have now gotten to sleep alone in my bed for the first time in more than 2 years. As a fan of co-sleeping and all attachment-parenting things, I must admit that I miss having company during the slumber hours. But I know I shouldn't complain - there's nothing more rare in the life of a young mother than a good night of sleep...

Here is Taj hanging out with Morpheus in his new crib.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hi, Taj--Will you come explain to Esme that sleeping is fun? She needs lessons!

Looks like you're having a wonderful time in Brazil !

EMILY

Anna said...

Eitan and I are currently trying to figure out whether to try co-sleeping with the baby in our bed or try to have her in a bassinet next to us or do a mix of both and what you wrote about Taj sleeping in the crib was interesting because perhaps adding a crib into the picture is not a bad idea either -- just so that there are several places baby can sleep and feel comfortable in until baby makes its choice.