Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The language barrier creates situations that are funny to say the least. For instance, Shinjuku, the financial district, was plastered with the sign below:


I was very curious as to what that sign really meant. Now, I looked and looked around, but could not find a single elephant. So, maybe that's what it was saying: Elephants are forbidden. Or maybe it was saying that Elephants are not allowed to smoke? Unfortunately, I'll never know.


It is one thing if you are walking around, happily wondering about the meaning of some curious looking elephant signs. The other thing though is when you really, really need to pee, and rush to your closest restroom, where you are faced with a very important decision: which kind of toilet to use. The options abound:




The solution is to peek inside of every stall and then pick the most familiar looking option.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Above the elephant, "Jauntily throw away waste!"

Below, I think it means
"Clean Shinjuku".

I'm sorry, I don't know what the elephant means either!

Interestingly, the separate kanji for "Shinjuku" seem to mean "new relay station".