Thursday, July 06, 2006

The power of persuasiveness

The arguments a 2.5 year old child can come up with to convince you to do something are just amazing .

This evening, Nalini wanted my permission to eat some candy, so she asked: "Mamae, can I eat the candy outside?" That's a really clever way to ask for it, since she knows that if my answer is simply "No", that could potentially mean that she can still eat her candy, just somewhere else. When I said "No candy before dinner" she looked at me, started unwrapping it and quickly added: "I'm just checking it out."

Two evenings ago she wanted to watch a movie to go to bed, something that she doesn't usually do. So she came and asked: "Can I watch a movie? I'll be really quiet."

But the best one happpened a few days ago. Nalini wanted to come into our room, but the baby gate was standing on the doorway. She knows how to open it, but she gets lazy sometimes and likes to ask us to do it. So she asked Jamila: "Papai, can you open the gate for Nani? This is really hard." Jamila said: "Nani can do it.", and she quickly replied: "Papai do it. Papai is big, and I'm really small."

Nobody can stop this girl!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Nalini, you are so so smart! Ana and Jamila, you are in trouble!