Tuesday, October 04, 2005

"Sam, I'm Sam"

Yesterday, we put Taj on his bouncy seat and were hoping he'd hang out there while we're preparing dinner and getting ready for the next morning. This is not a trivial task, since Taj gets bored very quickly when by himself, and typically asks to be held again after just a few minutes. So I kindly asked Nalini to entertain him for me. She was really clever - she brought to him two of her favorite books, and started reading them for him! One of them was Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham" (she calls it the Sam-book), and Nalini opened it up, and read: "Sam, I'm Sam". She read some more, and then switched to a Brazilian book, "Marcelo, Marmelo, Martelo", where she was reading: "menino, menino, menina, bola" (boy, boy, girl, ball) (one of the stories in this book is about a boy who likes to play soccer). Not only was it really great to watch her reading her books and interacting with her little brother like that, it also worked! Taj remained contently seated by himself for a good half hour - an absolute record for him!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hiya! I'm loving all of the Taj updates--I feel like we're finally getting to know him. Esme, Paul and I say hi!

EMILY